Robert has extensive experience in shipping and insurance law. His practice particularly encompasses bill of lading and charterparty disputes; arrest and detention of vessels; pollution and environmental matters; collision and salvage, and personal injury claims
Robert commenced work in transport practice in 1987 and was seconded to Richards Butler London from 1991 to 1993 where he acted in charterparty arbitrations, bill of lading disputes, and commodity claims and on behalf of P and I clubs.
Robert gained a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Sydney in 1984 and then went on to gain a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney in 1986. He is currently undertaking a Master of Laws also at the University of Sydney. Robert is admitted to practice in New South Wales, England and Wales.
Robert is a member of the Maritime Liability Committee of Shipping Australia Limited.
Robert’s recent experience includes:
- acting for Singaporean time charterers seeking to enforce rights under a letter of undertaking issued by a major international bank in respect of delivery of bulk cargo without presentation of original bills of lading
- acting for German Banks seeking to enforce mortgages in respect of two vessels arrested in Australia, moving to judicial sale of both vessels and obtaining judgement
- acting for shipowners in the defense of claims by bunker suppliers including an Appeal to the High Court of Australia on the issue of jurisdiction
- acting in the successful arrest and obtaining security in respect of a collision in Belgium which resulted in the constructive total loss of our client's vessel, substantial oil pollution and the provision of salvage services
- acting in respect of major maritime incidents such as the collapse of a bulkhead causing flooding of an adjacent hold, serious personal injury to stevedores, cargo loss and other charterparty disputes
- advising liner shipping consortia in relation to the terms of their liner service contracts including contractual arrangements with stevedores and acting in relation to arbitral disputes between those parties
- acting and advising in relation to disputes arising out of a contract for the construction of a large aluminium fast ferry and acting in a substantial arbitration concerning four such vessels
- acting in the defence of claims relating to speed boats